17 April 2011

Experimental Phonology Group meeting, Tuesday

Joe Pater writes:

The next meeting of the experimental phonology working group will be next Tuesday April 19th at 10 am. We'll be discussing Berent et al.'s 2009 Phonology paper, which can be found on our webpage, along with some other related earlier work:

http://www.umass.edu/linguist/icesl/working-groupslabs/experimental-phonology-working-group/

You'll also find a link there to some readings on Bayesian models that I promised last week. Here's the direct link:

http://people.umass.edu/icesl/Bayesian-readings.html

Related to that, Caren Rotello is currently doing an introduction to Bayesian statistics in her class, and visitors are welcome. The class meets MWF 1:25 - 2:15 in the Psych colloq room in Tobin (423?). In today's class, she'll be showing how to do the calculations underlying a simple coin flipping example in R. I think you'll be able to follow even if you are just joining in. And coincidentally related to that, Kristine Yu sent me Robert Daland's very nice handout on the coin flipping example, which I'd be happy to forward to anyone who asks me (I don't feel like I have bulk distribution privileges).

Finally, I've posted slides from the talks by Brian Dillon, James McQueen, and Kristine Yu on the ICESL site, which you can find on the relevant events pages.