20 January 2013

Partee Lecture in Mexico

Barbara writes:

Volodja are I are in Mexico for a couple of weeks mixing business and pleasure. I spent Jan 14-17 at El Colegio de Mexico consulting with Josefina García Fajardo and my colleagues in a project on determiners in Spanish and in Yucatec Maya, and with the 7 PhD students of the Linguistics Program about their planned dissertation projects. On Thursday the 17th, I gave a public lecture, “La cuantificación y tipología semántica”. Everything on all four days was in Spanish, though I note that Russian words were continually trying to emerge (and occasionally emerging), even though  Volodja and I tried to keep our own conversations in English. Those work days are being followed by an 8-day trip around the Yucatan, followed by two days back in Mexico City visiting with Josefina before returning to Amherst Jan 28.