27 March 2011

Postcard from Barbara

Barbara Partee writes:

I had a busy happy time in Oslo last week, doing three things. The main event was giving the third annual “Academy Lecture in the Humanities and Social Sciences” of the Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters on March 15. My talk was “The Origins of Formal Semantics from Linguistics and Philosophy: Humanities, Science, or Both?”. (answer, of course, ‘both’.) There are a couple of nice photos in the Academy newsletter here. I also gave a talk at the Center for the Study of Mind in Nature on March 16: “Context dependence and implicit arguments.” And I managed to fit in five interviews in connection with my book project on the history of formal semantics (for which I’ve now signed a contract with Oxford University Press), while enjoying the hospitality of the linguistics group at the Center for Advanced Study at the Academy.